Did you know sitting is killing you? Dr. Mercola’s Fitness team produced one of the best articles, we have seen on this topic. We know you may not have time to read it, so here are the key facts. ** Note: Sitting and sleeping are not the same thing.
- Physical inactivity costs our global economy $67 Billion each year.
- “According to the researchers, inactivity is also the cause of more than 5 million deaths per year. To put that into perspective in terms of being a risk factor, smoking kills about 6 million annually.”
- “Reducing sitting time by 50 percent (mean sitting time being 4.7 hours a day) would result in a 2.3 percent decline in all-cause mortality. This may not sound like much, but the real value is not necessarily living longer but rather being healthier while still alive.”
- “People who sat for eight hours a day but were otherwise active had a lower risk of premature death than people who spent fewer hours sitting but were also less active, suggesting that exercise is particularly important, no matter how many hours a day are spent sitting.”
- “The data suggest that for optimal health and longevity, you want to exercise for at least 7.5 hours per week (about one hour per day), spending at least 2.25 hours a week (20 minutes a day) doing higher intensity exercises.”
Read the full article here for more detailed information. Now you know, you can lower your health risks by simply moving. Time to move it, move it.
All information has been sourced from Dr. Mercola and this article directly.