Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs. Why we love it: Crockpot recipe, easy to make, easy cleanup, and the kids will love it! Servings 2-3. Approximately. 17g of protein per serving. Spaghetti squash — or vegetable spaghetti — is a group of cultivars of Cucurbita pepo. The fruit ranges from ivory to yellow/orange in color. The orange varieties have a higher carotene content. Its center contains many large seeds.
Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs
Spaghetti Squash & Meatballs. Why we love it: Crockpot recipe, easy to make, easy cleanup, and the kids will love it! Servings 2-3. Approximately. 17g of protein per serving
- 1 whole spaghetti squash medium size squash
- 1 lb italian sausage ground (or you can use ground turkey)
- 1 can tomato sauce (I used a 14 ounce can)
- 2 tbsp hot pepper relish (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic whole
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch basil
- 1 pinch thyme
- Make sure you use a large 6-quart slow cooker for this recipe.
- Dump your tomato sauce, olive oil, garlic, hot pepper relish and Italian seasoning into your slow cooker and stir well.
- Cut your squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Place your 2 squash halves face down into your slow cooker.
- Roll your ground sausage into meatballs, then fit as many as you can in the sauce around the squash. I was able to work in about a half pound worth.
- Cook on High for 3 hours or cook on low for 5 hours.
- Use a large fork to pull the “spaghetti” out of your squash, then top with your meatballs and sauce.
- Garnish with parsley if desired!