Eat Good Food
One of the biggest misconceptions about being on a cleanse or doing a detox diet is that you can’t have tasty, delicious foods. And that couldn’t be further from the truth! I love finding different ways to fill my plate with healthy and hearty meals that taste good. And I love watching my clients make that connection, too.
I tell any of my clients who are starting a detox or cleanse-style diet to make sure and stock up on the right kinds of foods for meals and snacks. There’s nothing worse than being hungry when you’re detoxing and all you have in your pantry is potato chips and Oreos.
Simple And Delicious
It’s just about a little planning and having a few key ingredients on hand. Keep your fridge and kitchen stocked with whole, non-processed foods and have some easy “go-to” meals that you can make quickly that you know will satisfy.
My favorite this summer has been this Seasoned Shrimp recipe that I came up with for maximum flavor. It’s easy, yummy and versatile and makes a great addition to my salads or “bowl” meals.
You can even throw it in a burrito, taco or quesadilla. It’s the perfect flavorful protein and I always get compliments on it when I make it for friends. The shrimp take just minutes to cook and prep time is minimal.
Easy As 1-2-3
Want to make it really easy? Grab a “salad-on-the-go” kit from your local grocery store that has all the veggies and fixings already in it. I usually forgo the dressing that comes in these kits because they have a lot of sugar or unhealthy oils.
I just make my own with some lemons, limes, vinegars and fresh olive oil, but I love the ease everything in one bag. Trader Joe’s offers some great options. I also love REDMONDS Real Salt because of its trace mineral content and dried oregano to round up my simple salad dressing.
All you need for this deliciousness is a pound of shrimp and some staple seasonings.
Happy, Healthy eating!
Yummy Seasoned Shrimp for Bowls and Salads
- 1 lb. shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried minced onions
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3-4 tsp avocado or olive oil divided
Toppings for Bowls or Salads
- 2-3 tbsp pico de gallo
- 1 avocado chopped
- fresh cilantro chopped
- lime slices squeeze on top of shrimp
- In a bowl combine all the spices with 2 teaspoons of olive oil; toss in the shrimp coating evenly.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1-2 teaspoon of oil and add the shrimp; cook 2-3 minutes on medium heat on each side or until opaque.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan to avoid overcooking.
Base For Bowls
- HOT: These ingredients can be sautéed with oil, cilantro or parsley, lime juice and topped with green onion. Cauliflower rice Quinoa Rice
- COLD: These ingredients can be lightly tossed with your favorite dressing and a squeeze of fresh lime. Shredded lettuce Shredded cabbage Raw mixed veggies